Unwanted visitors :(

What a time for this! We could be bringing home a brand new baby any day, and with the cold weather, the mice have moved in! The house next door was very run down. The new owner who moved in this month is totally gutting and re-doing it. He also has multiple cats. Thad believes that with the construction and cats, the mice moved out of his house and into ours. :( I first noticed "evidence" of potential mice on Thursday and told Thad. He wasn't convinced. Then I found some more droppings on Friday. Thad said we could get a couple traps just in case. The weekend got away from us and we didn't get around to it. Then Monday morning, Thad saw a mouse run across the living room and into the fireplace when he was getting ready for work. So he brought home 8 mouse traps. We set them up all over the house last night. By morning when That got up, every single trap had been licked clean of it's peanut butter, and none of them had gone off! So he picked them all up and put them under the kitchen sink for the day so the kids wouldn't find them. Not 10 min after he left for work "SNAP!" We caught our first mouse...and with no bait on the trap! I guess the smart mice come out at night, the not so smart ones wait till early morning. I could also hear one chewing on the boxes in our closet this morning. Thad moved a trap in there, but it didn't catch that mouse. Honestly, for how fast I am finding more and more droppings everywhere, I think we had a mouse with it's entire extended family, and their extended family ALL move in at once! I don't think the traps are going to make much of a dent in their population. I don't know if we should use poison though. Maybe put it out at night and put it away during the day like with the traps, but then we would have mice dieing in random places all over the place, and wouldn't that smell as they decompose? EEEWWWWW! Just the thought of that makes me want to puke! I think the only other option is get a cat or 5, but Thad is allergic to them.

Comments

Robyn said…
It makes my ant problems seem pithy... I'm sooo sorry! Do you have any known gender or name for baby yet? Or are these things secrets? I can't wait to hear more baby news!
Kim Pace said…
I've heard there are little motels that work. They would keep the dead mice from dying all over. Maybe they would work? I hope so!
Debbie said…
D-Con works very nicely on mice. It makes them dry up so they don't stink after dying. I've put them under big furniture, like the cedar chest where they are completely out of sight and reach of little hands. Good luck!

Popular posts from this blog

Birth Story

2 month check up

Almost a decade!