Getting things ready
This last week, I've been trying to start getting things ready around here. Ready for a new baby, and also ready for next school year. I am just about done picking out curriculum for Raquelle and Titus. Titus surprised us and started sounding out simple words. He is doing very well in the Kindergarten Hooked On Phonics workbook. After not ever wanting to do any preschool, suddenly he is asking every day to do school...and when we finish, he asks if he can do more. He is counting quite well with minimal help all the way to 100! So I decided to start him in Kindergarten in the fall. I already have the Abeka kindergarten readers from Raquelle and the Bob books. We were given Horizon kindergarten math for him and he will share Raquelle's science and history books.
Raquelle's schooling is tricky. After reading a book to my mom, my mom informed me that her reading fluency is about on a 5th grade level. However, she hasn't had much (if any) work on capitals, punctuation, sentence structure, nouns, verbs, spelling, etc. So choosing books for her is tricky. If I buy her reading books on her level, the lack of pictures and more complex stories don't hold her attention. If I buy her reading stuff for her age, it is simple and doesn't challenge her at all. So far, I have decided to go with Abeka's Language arts program along with Abeka history and science and Horizon 1st grade math. For reading, I am looking into the Kumon 2nd and 3rd grade level books. Over the summer, she is loving the Amelia Bedelia books so far. I hope to make a trip to the library to get her a library card soon. Still on my list of school supplies... I need to buy or order a number chart with numbers 1-100 on it, I need an American flag, and I need to pick up the Kumon reading workbooks...and possibly a spelling book.
In terms of getting ready for the baby, I am slowly (a little too slowly) trying to clean and organize things around the house. Unfortunately, the kids seem to mess things faster then I can clean. The first priority is the corner of our bedroom where Annabelle's bed is suppose to go. Today I packed Titus's backpack for when I go into labor. I still need to pack the girls and pack my bag. Lots to do and not a lot of time left.
Raquelle's schooling is tricky. After reading a book to my mom, my mom informed me that her reading fluency is about on a 5th grade level. However, she hasn't had much (if any) work on capitals, punctuation, sentence structure, nouns, verbs, spelling, etc. So choosing books for her is tricky. If I buy her reading books on her level, the lack of pictures and more complex stories don't hold her attention. If I buy her reading stuff for her age, it is simple and doesn't challenge her at all. So far, I have decided to go with Abeka's Language arts program along with Abeka history and science and Horizon 1st grade math. For reading, I am looking into the Kumon 2nd and 3rd grade level books. Over the summer, she is loving the Amelia Bedelia books so far. I hope to make a trip to the library to get her a library card soon. Still on my list of school supplies... I need to buy or order a number chart with numbers 1-100 on it, I need an American flag, and I need to pick up the Kumon reading workbooks...and possibly a spelling book.
In terms of getting ready for the baby, I am slowly (a little too slowly) trying to clean and organize things around the house. Unfortunately, the kids seem to mess things faster then I can clean. The first priority is the corner of our bedroom where Annabelle's bed is suppose to go. Today I packed Titus's backpack for when I go into labor. I still need to pack the girls and pack my bag. Lots to do and not a lot of time left.
Comments