Delayed Gratification

Delayed Gratification is a concept that I think has been mostly lost in our industrialized society. We have everything at our finger tips at a moments notice, why wait for anything? You can order a pizza online and have it delivered to your door within 30 min, drive through coffee and fast food, etc.

A couple years ago, Thad and I set some very specific goals for our lives over the next few years. We set a very strict budget and have been nazi's with it ever since. As part of this, we do not spend ANY money without consulting with each other first. Thad will call me from work to ask about getting a burger off the dollar menu if he didn't pack enough lunch to keep him full. If there is a sale on a favorite type of cereal, I will call and check with Thad before buying an extra box of it. As a result of being very goal oriented, we have been able to pay off a significant amount of debt in the last couple years (4 maxed out credit cards, the car, and about $6000 in medical bills). We finally reached the point where it was time for a reward. For all the times we didn't have the money to do or buy what we wanted because that money had another purpose, we are finally allowing ourselves spending money!

Here is my first purchase! It is a Kenneth Cole Reaction wool dress coat! I have wanted a wool dress coat for several years. I have watched several sales pass me by because it was not in the budget to buy a new coat that month. Because I waited, I got a much nicer coat! On the Kenneth Cole website, a Reaction wool coat is around $300! I found a similor one at Maceys for $180. Well, we also carry Kenneth Cole through our business (charlick.mychoices.biz) and those went on sale last week for $77! So, I got a $300 wool dress coat for $77! 2 days after I ordered it, they were out of stock in my size, so I got it just in time!

I think I will save the rest of my spending money for a few months in order to finish losing baby weight. (I have lost 16 lbs since January 1st...if you couldn't tell through the big coat).

Anyway, I know this was kind of a selfish post about myself... I promise some new pictures of the kids in my next post.

Comments

Elsie said…
Becky! You look great! And what an AMAZING deal!!! Isn't it just wonderful when we get those little (yet BIG) blessings?!
Jennifer said…
How did you lose 16 pounds? I'm impressed, I can't even loose 5..:(
bethany said…
Congrats for being so self-disiplined. That is awesome. And by the way the coat is super super cute. I am glad that God gave you such a wonderful 'present.'
Beckys blog said…
Jennifer - I'll answer that question in a new post as soon as I have all the kids down for nap.

Popular posts from this blog

Birth Story

2 month check up

Almost a decade!