Off to a rough start
Kezzy had her first dr check up today. So far, she is still losing weight. I guess they expect a baby to lose 5 to 7% of it's body weight before they start gaining and they expect them to be back up to their birth weight by 7 to 10 days old. Any weight loss over 10% is a big red flag that something isn't right. Kezzy is 6 days old and currently has lost 11% of her body weight and has not started to gain yet. She is also jaundice and has thrush. So, from the dr office, we went to the hospital to have blood drawn to check her bili levels. I haven't heard back yet what they are but am hoping that she won't need to go back to the hospital. From there, we went to see the lactation consultant. Found that she is eating just over 2 oz in a feeding. That would be fine if we could get her to wake up to eat more often and if she would take that much every feeding. The jaundice is making her very sleepy though and it can be difficult to get her to take a full feeding. They recomended nursing for 30 min, then giving her a bottle, then pumping for 15 min...Then repeat every 2 hours...that's 2 hours from when I started feeding...not from when I ended, all while also taking care of my 2 1/2 yr old and my 18 month old. I am just a little bit stressed about this. Thad is taking tomorrow (Wednesday) off work to help out, then Thursday I will be on my own, then Friday Thad is only working a half day because Keziah needs to go back to the dr and the Lactation consultants again to make sure she is starting to gain weight and that her jaundice is getting better.
Comments